Tim Peters, D.J.

Monday, September 11, 2006

You get money for that?

Today was interesting to say the least.  Not just being the 5th anniversery of the 9/11 attacks, but for the first time in my radio career I was questioned about payola.  In case you don't know what payola is, it is where people pay money or expensive gifts to radio people to play their records.  The only time I have ever been offered anything from a record rep was in Omaha while I was Music Director at 1290 KOIL right before the KISS concert.  (I'll have to post that picture of me backstage with KISS.  It's the only thing my kids think is cool about me.)  The casablanca rep offered me what appeared to be a bag full of white powder.  He said it was Coke but I said I'm a Mountain Dew guy.  He said you sniff it up your nose and I said no way.  I accidently got some root beer up my nose once and it burned like hell!  Not gonna let that happen again. 

Anyway, I get a call at home this morning asking me questions about computers and files and accepting large sums of cash and some other stuff.  After I stopped laughing and got up off the floor I asked the guy if he'd like to come over and see the mansion  So basically I just played dumb. If you haven't guessed yet, that is not hard for me to do. I just wanted to tell the guy, "Hey, I can't get the people I work for to give me money, much less record people".  I guess he realized pretty quick that I was a bottom feeder as far as the radio station is concerned.  They did however suck all the information out of some computers in the station.  I don't know if they'll find anything or even what they're looking for. I bet this what the Spanish Inquisition was like.(like I have a clue about the Spanish Inquisition) Should be an interesting time ahead.  I'll just hide in the bushes and watch, so to speak. (My neighbor lady will be able to relate to that)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home