Tim Peters, D.J.

Saturday, November 04, 2006

Urinal Social Order

As I was standing at the urinal today talking with the BIG boss I realized that this is the only place I ever really have a meaningful conversation with him.  Actually, I feel lucky to get that little bit of quality mens room time.  I only met his predecesssor twice, and he insulted me both times.  Had we been at a urinal maybe things would have been different. He by the way is still unemployed while I continue to rake in a hair more than my paperboy.

Anyway, H as I call him, is the "Market Manager" for Kansas City.  He seems to be an extremely talented and knowledgeable man.  He reminds me a great deal of a man I admire as much as anyone I've ever known in my life, H. Roger Dodson.  Both now have been my boss at a radio station.  I don't however remember discussing anything over the urinal with Roger as we never worked at a station that had multiple urinal capability.  It seems odd that there may be a mold from which radio station managers are made.

There are many people I admire and have never been near a urinal with them.  There are also people with whom I've spent more time than I wanted talking at a urinal.  If you think about it, you have to really trust people you meet in a restromm even if they are just waiting to use the facility.  I believe a man is most vulnerable at a public urinal.  Afterall, you have your back to the crowd with your most valuable posession in your hand and it is at best a friendly weapon.

But then again, everyone at a line of urinals is on an even playing field with each other.  The beggar is the same as the millionaire there.  All class distinctions are erased for that brief moment.  No one is better than anyone else.  There is no urinal social order.  It doesn't mean that many of us are painfully aware of where we stand outside the urinal stall.

This is the way we do business in radio.  We talk over urinals, are intimidated by everyone who makes more money than us and has a higher position in the company and we do everything we can to keep our paychecks rolling in.  This is where the extortion, bribes and payola come in.  You  know, the real money in radio.

That is all...Peters out!

1 Comments:

At 4:25 PM, Blogger Carleigh said...

haha brilliant dad!! a little disturbing to think about heh...but nonetheless...brilliant!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home