Tim Peters, D.J.

Sunday, February 11, 2007

Memoriesssss.....

It is sad when someone seemingly so young passes away for no obvious reason.  I have been reading alot about Anna Nicole Smith this week and the mystery behind her death.  I have heard people speculating whether this will be one of those events where you'll always remember where you were when you heard about it.  I'm gonna have to say probably not for me.

The events in my life where I remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard about them are few but all were major events.

The first one was in third grade at Hillside Elementary in Omaha.  Mrs. Giesler was our teacher and it was a gray and cold November day when our principal, Mr. Edmonston stuck his head in the door and announced to us that President Kennedy had been assassinated.  We were all told to put our heads in our arms on top of our desks.  School was essentially over for the day.  Maybe that's why I remember it so well.

The next memorable event was in 1977.  I was returning an ugly orange princess phone to the phone company in Scottsbluff Nebraska and as I was stopping in front of the phone company, the midday guy on my station, KOLT, made the announcement that Elvis had died..  It was the day before my birthday.  We then played Elvis songs until I thought I would wake up singing "Love Me Tender" every morning.  I still celebrate Elvis' birthday, January 8.  That is a major holiday in my book!

Then on December 8, 1980, I was on the air on KOIL in Omaha when the news of John Lennon's death came across the wire.  We urged motorists to drive with their headlights on for the rest of the week and then proceeded to play nonstop Beatles and John Lennon music.  They may still be playing as far as I know.

I still remember where I was and what I was doing when the Challenger disaster occurred on June 6th, 1986.  My mother always talked about how she was playing with her dishes on the back porch when the news about Pearl Harbor came over the radio.  I kind of remember the Apollo moon landing in July of 1969 and I remember the summer of 1969 as Woodstock ended on my 14th birthday.  I used to have the coolest army jacket with the Woodtock guitar neck and dove logo on the back.

It's funny what your mind chooses to remember.  I just don't think my mind is going to remind me every year about Anna Nichole.  I don't think it will be long before my mind chooses not to remember my name!

That is all... Peters out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home