Tim Peters, D.J.

Friday, January 11, 2008

Let me say this about that...


I am not bitter.  I was treated well while I was back in Wichita.  The commute was beginning to be somewhat cumbersome and Stacy was not exactly thrilled with the arrangement.  I just love being on the radio, period.  I love my listeners because they were the ones that made me successful in Wichita in the first place.  Just about any average jock would have been successful had it not been me.  Way back in 1981, I was just in the right place at the right time.  I enjoyed the success it brought.

I've made all the decisions during my career and I've made some bad ones.  I know I committed professional suicide when I chose to return to KEYN.  The money was good.  Stacy was able to be home with our infant children and life was good.  But that one move, in my mind, ended my career in radio.  I still worked in radio but it has been a nearly vertical battle and I never achieved the success i had in Wichita.  I thought when I was offered the job with Journal I could come back to Wichita and make a difference.  I did not make a difference.  Maybe I could have been successful again had the station told some folks I was back.  They didn't and I paid the price.  That's radio.

I have three great kids, all in college.  A wonderful wife who never lets my head get too big and I have my life.  The second chance life that many never get.  Although only about half my heart really earns it's keep, I tell myself everyday how lucky I am to at least have that.  At least I have a cool scar that I will someday use to scare grandkids!!!

I'm happy I got to know some of you and that I considered all my listeners as my friends.  Mister X started out as a listener and for over twenty years we've remained friends.  Life is good no matter what. 

I also wish the best to Rex Childs, a real radio legend, Dugg Collins, a legend also and  Barry Casey who I've known since I moved to Wichita in 1981.  I will tell you I have not heard from a single person I worked with this last trip to Wichita except for Dugg and Barry and that disappoints me.  But, oh well. 

Take care of yourselves.  Don't make me come back there!

That is all...Peters out!

3 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Blogger Colby said...

Tim,

I apologize for not reaching out sooner. The shock is now starting to wear off from the week that was. I wish I'd have gotten to known you better, but nonetheless, it was always fun talking football in the basement. Godspeed and don't scare the grandkids too much! I miss Stewie and hoefully someone will return him!
Colby Ericson

 
At 7:04 PM, Blogger MisterX said...

I have personally known Tim Peters for over 20 some years. What an incredible talent and person he truly is. I am lucky to call him my friend all these years and would do anything for him. It is a shame that KFTI "used" him only to funnel listeners into KFDI side of the house. What a crappy thing for Journal Broadcasting to do. It appears to border on exteme carelessness, calousness and wrecklessness. I big avarious company like Journal should be ashamed at how they treat competent professionals so cowardly. The bottom line is today's mantra and corporate profits are what seem to rule the markets. To heck with people in search of profits. It won't be long before Journal Broadcasting will feel the sting of the mass exodus of loyal listeners.

Mister X PhD

 
At 5:34 PM, Blogger Briblog Blog said...

Like Colby - I regret not touching base sooner too. Stay in the biz - get the Hell out - just follow your re-wired heart. We both know the biz is different these days. I'm in the same boat, but a different seat looking out a different window. I respect what you've accomplished. I wish you the very best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home