Tim Peters, D.J.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Bleeding Husker Red

Being in radio for over thirty years has allowed me to meet very famous people.  The most famous and a person for whom I have the utmost respect is former Nebraksa Cornhusker head football coach Tom Osborne.  Strangely enough though, I met Tom through my restaurants, not the radio.  Tom used to bring his grandkids into one of my restaurants at least once a week.  He was always gracious and never seemed to mind if I gushed all over him like a school girl.  I tried to get him to autograph this menu with "Thanks for helping me win those National Championships, all my love and respect, Tom Osborne".  You can see what he actually wrote. 

When we opened our first restaurant in 1995, we had alot of the players coming in.  I have several signed posters framed on the walls of my studio. I once had four former Cornhusker quarterbacks in my restaurant at the same time.  I also have the Cornhusker shrine which my Mother finally gave me.  It was all my dad's collectable Nebraska memorabilia.  Except for the red overalls and matching beatle boots.

I like to irritate my KU, KSU an MU neighbors by painting their houses Husker Red while they're at work.  Not really, but the thought has crossed my mind.

Other famous people I've met include, Kenny Rogers (who I took Stacy backstage to meet on one of our first dates), Styx (one of whom threw up on my Acme roughouts after the concert), Journey, Pat Benatar, John Mellencamp (after the KISS concert), Kirstie Alley, Richard Simmons (who bit me on the shoulder while we were on the air.  I have a picture of me picking him up at the airpost with me carrying Ashleigh in a baby carrier thing.  I'll try to find that one.  Missy Cleveland, Miss April, 1977.  Glen Campbell, Pat Boone and many others used to stop by the KOIL studios to see Jimmy and we got some quality time together.  There are many others and as I come across the pictures I'll post them here.  I don't really care if I meet famous people anymore.  I just don't like being treated the way most of them treat us less than blueblood types.

2 Comments:

At 9:42 PM, Blogger Annonymous said...

A few years ago while I was walking through LAX, Richard Simmons stopped and told me I had "gorgeous eyeballs." I think I'd rather be bitten on the sholder.

 
At 11:20 PM, Blogger Carleigh said...

why couldn't i be the "almost famous" child? :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home