Tim Peters, D.J.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Worst to First....

The Ron Eric Taylor story reminded me of another incident that was kinda funny because of him. 

I don't remember exactly why, but the owners of the radio station at that time decided that Ron Eric getting us to and keeping us at #1 was not good enough.  So, they kind of forced RET to quit and brought in this schmo named Steve Allen Br**ks.  He told them he could get us to a 25 share.  We were at a 14.1 share as I remember when he started at the station.  His first arbitron took the station down to a 12.5 share. 

Now this part is going to be hard to believe,  but I was in a real smart a** mood one morning after I got off the air.  I went and stuck my head in his office door and said, "Congratulations Steve, you are halfway to your 25 share!"  His reaction was priceless.  I probably would not have done that if he hadn't been such a jerk to work for.

Anyway, shortly after that encounter he talked the owners into buying a new jingle package.  We had a jingle premiere party at his apartment and strangely enough, all the jocks had their own jingles except for me, Wichita's number one morning show.  Well, it wasn't long before I was pulled into the General Manager's office and told that I had "polarized" the audience and that they were bringing in a new morning show. (Little did they realize then that polarizing an audience doesn't mean they quit listening)  I was going to have to move to afternoons.  I said "OkeeDokee", then left and called Jack Oliver, the program director of the new top 40 station in town, KKRD.  Jack and I had been talking for a while and I told him if he wanted me, now is the time.  He agreed, I gave my two weeks notice and started at KKRD, much to the KEYN management's surprise.  They actually thought I was going to work for RET in Tampa.

It took us exactly 6 months to go from worst to first at KKRD.  In fact, KKRD and KEYN almost switched ratings.  KEYN fell to the bottom of the pack and KKRD was at the top.  I guess I showed them!

If your good, next time I'll tell you how I screwed that deal up along with my entire career.  Stay tuned!

That is all.  Peters out!

1 Comments:

At 6:29 PM, Blogger Mr.X said...

Tim, I think you are being too harsh on yourself by saying that you were in a smart a#* mood one morning. I have NEVER seen you OUT of that mood in all our years as friends. (no offense meant) ROFL

Oh, by the way, you still owe me last months payment for me being your friend....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home