Tim Peters, D.J.

Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Memoriesss....

It's hard to believe that Christmas is just days away.  There have been some pretty crazy Christmas' in my life. 

When I first got into radio after graduating from Brown Institute in 1976, I got hired on immediately at KNEB in Scottsbluff.  I had everything I owned in the back of my parent's '72 Nova Hatchback, Special Big Red edition, because my 1962 Nova was still sitting in Bloomington Minnesota without a clutch.  Since my family was more than eight hours away and I didn't really get much time off for the holidays, I always volunteered to work the holidays so the folks who had family close by could enjoy their holiday.  My Mom would always box up my presents and send them to me.  One year I opened my Christmas presents on the counter at the local Kwik Shop with the lady I always talked with when I would stop before work.  I opened my gifts right there on the counter and her and I shared a Christmas memory.

My first year in radio I was working at KNEB on Thanksgiving night and there was the usual amount of listeners, between zero and none.  Well into the evening there was a knock on the station door and lo and behold, a local restaurant sent me a complete turkey dinner.  So I guess there was one listener that night.

When the kids were little we would always get them up after they had been asleep and take them to the living room so they could see Santa leaving the presents.  They would wake up the next morning not really sure if it was real or not.  It was fun to listen to them speculate.  Someday they will believe in Santa again.  I know I still do.

For years we have always travelled on Christmas so relatives could enjoy our company also.  I can't count the times we have spent Christmas day on the road.  I'm hoping one day we'll have Christmas at our house.  Maybe after the grandkids start popping out.

I just read where the people at the station where I worked all got $400 bonuses because they hit their December sales goals.  I also read where two of my former workmates were planning on giving their bonus to one of the fired employees.  That truly is the Christmas spirit. 

It's kind of funny, but I think there may be a message here.  As I was being fired,  I landed the biggest voiceover job of my career.  I was hired to narrate a unified version of the Gospel of Jesus.  I truly enjoyed reading and recording the 200 plus pages.  It paid me almost double what I would have made working at the station.  Plus I learned so much just absorbing the information.  This is going to be a GREAT year!

As for us, we again are glad to have each other, together for Christmas.  You never know when the time will come when we won't all be here together.  Make every moment count.  God bless and Merry Christmas!

2 Comments:

At 11:56 PM, Blogger Carleigh said...

awww daddy...this is so sweet.

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Mark said...

I remember Tim's first day on the air at KNEB. He'd gone all of the way through Brown Institute(then) as "Tim Rush" but at the last minute he was not sure he wanted to share the glory of what was about to be his radio career with some mythic guy nobody knew. Tim had a lot invested in this Tim Rush guy, including a beat-up old white visor he had marked up with "RUSH!" by hand.

So the news ends, the music sounder fires off and Tim opens the mic and proudly announces... "Good afternoon, I'm Tim... (sound of crickets...) PETERS on Kay Enn Eee Bee!"

At the VERY last moment, Tim Peters won and nobody ever heard of Tim Rush again. History does not record what happened to the visor.

And history would have it no other way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home