Tim Peters, D.J.

Monday, April 23, 2007

Times they are a changin'....

It just doesn't seem possible, but my youngest child attended his first prom this past weekend and then he graduates from high school in a month.  It seems like only yesterday I was being forced to visit the pricipal's office with him.  It's not like I didn't get enough of that when I was in school.  My kids constantly remind me of my seventh grade teacher Mr. Blatter. 

Everyday after lunch Mr. Blatter would read to the class out of a popular book of the time.  One particular day myself and Neil Miesbach laughed at something and Mr. Blatter invited the two of us to join him in the hallway.  Now I don't know if he just didn't get his full nicotine fix during lunch or was just in the mood for some action, but when we arrived in the hallway he proceeded to slam the two of into the lockers.  I remember him twisting the skin of my neck between two fingers.  That didn't feel good.  I was so surprised by this vicious attack that I actually peed my pants.  I can't speak for Neil, but that hurt worse than any of the physical stuff.

As soon as Mr. Blatter had met his quota of child beating we were returned to the classroom.  Our soiled trousers right there for everyone to see.  He even ripped my shirt so it was hanging open.  When I showed my Mom the damage and told the story she said I probably deserved it and she was going to call Mr. Blatter and thank him.  Now my Mom was loving and all that but at that time I couldn't believe she took the teacher's side. 

Now after raising three children, I understand her postiton and appreciate it.  Believe me, I never again was out of line in Mr. Blatter's class. Had he just verbally scolded me like teachers today have to do I doubt I would even remember it.  The humiliation of peeing in one's pants in front of the entire class would bring a lawsuit in today's society.  We don't want to embarass any of the young hooligans.

Well, Bradyn has almost made it to graduation and I don't believe he ever had the pee pants problem in school.   He may not see it now, but the down side to teachers not being able to discipline kids these days is we are losing a whole generation of stories.  I can hear it now, "and when I was in seventh grade a teacher actually raised her voice at me.  I almost peed my pants."  "We sued her and I graduated  5 years early with a rather large monetary settlement."  Those will be their "Good 'ol days".

That is all...Peters out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home