Tim Peters, D.J.

Thursday, March 27, 2008

I know, I know...

It's been a while since my last post but there have been extenuating circumstances.  By that I mean, I have spent the first half of my unemployment chasing down a Program Director of a new radio station that would have fit me like a shoe.  But he has either been too sick, too busy, too sick again, in meetings or getting ready to get out early for the Easter weekend to make time for me.  Clearly, in the radio business, I have been blown off with every possible excuse now.  I came to realize that on Monday,  as I moped around giving away all my posessions and tying up loose ends.  I'm only kidding, but those thoughts have crossed my mind.

This guy has had nearly a dozen people contact him and tell him what a "great talent" I am and would be great for the new station.  I have won awards, set records for listenership, been a forerunner of the ever elusive six figure salary for a disc jockey in a medium size market and a frontrunner in raising money for St. Jude.  I have been the most familiar face on the radio in Wichita, yet it really all means nothing now.  I am a 50+ disc jockey trying to get at least an interview with a radio station that just fired all their 50+ employees.  What in the hell was I thiking?

I just came to the conclusion Tuesday that he just didn't want to interview me so I wrote him the following e mail:


 "I don't want to be a burden on anyone and I also don't want to have to grovel to get an interview.  I appreciate your efforts thus far but I have to assume you either don't have any time to talk to me or you have no positions open.  Either way, I understand.  I know I would be a huge asset to any company that hires me so I am moving on to pursue other opportunites.  If something would come open and you feel a professional,mature award winning, successful person would be right for it feel free to give me a call.  In the meantime I may have an opportuity with Pizzahut.  Be sure to tip your driver."

Today I received his response:

"Tim--I apologize for not being able to get us together...still want to. Candidly, our soon-to-start B******d staff have been signed-up and I'm preparing for them to start...that along with our Spring promotions has had me sneaking out to the grocery store for lunch whenever I can.  I\have a lot of respect for you and will continue to look for\opportunities within E*******m and radio in general...and we'll split a meatlovers soon.

Thanks for understanding."

Well, I wish all the best to the staff who was being interviewed and hired as I grovelled for an interview like a starving orphan for a second helping.  But then again, who wants someone on their staff that actually played this music when it was new, partied backstage with most of the artists by persoanl invitation, and knows the music and the background about as thoroughly as anyone.  I'm guessing, not anyone.  But I'm not bitter.

So, when I say be sure to tip your pizza delivery driver, I'm just being selfish.  By the way, I did shame my friend into lunch and it was quite refreshing.  We're planning on taking a vacation in late July...not him and I, the family...hope a job doesn't come up and interfere with our plans.

That is all...Peters out!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home