Tim Peters, D.J.

Friday, April 04, 2008

I know Joe, part 1...

It was way back in the early days of radio that I was fortunate enough to be teamed with what would turn out to be the "perfect storm" of talented radio people.  We all came together for a brief moment in time and created something that was very special.

I was reminded of this when I stopped by my MySpace page and found a message from one of those extraordinary people.  His name is Joe Myers.  I had often wondered where Joe ended up.  Last I had heard was Joe was at an ad agency in Kansas City.  I was close.  He didn't say what he was doing now but, it was good to hear from Joe.  More about him in a minute.

This extraordinary time in radio was 1981 when I was honored to join an infant team or professionals who were poised to gel into something great.  I know I will forget some but here's the lineup as I remember it.  Jim Long along with Charley Pride decided to drop some of their fortunes into some radio stations.  The stations were KEYN and KQAM in Wichita Kansas.  They hired an extraordinary leader, his name was Roger Dodson.  I had just started doing mornings on the legendary Top 40 station in Omaha, 1290 KOIL.  I had made the decision that if I was going to do anything in radio I would have to get into a morning show.  I was in mornings for 6 weeks when a fellow named Lee Corey called me and asked if I had any interest in going to Wichita to work on a fledgling FM station.  They offered to double my money to move to Wichita, so I went.  I was now making $28,000 a year!

I didn't realize at the time what I was walking into.  I was getting ready to join the most dynamic team of people I would ever work with in radio and together we would do amazing things with this radio station.  It would only last a couple of years at most, but it was going to be special, and innovative, and successful. 

We'll be right back after this short break.

That is all (for now)...Peters out!

1 Comments:

At 11:42 AM, Blogger MisterX said...

Hey! Tim... Mr. Tim Peters!! I ain't feelin da love! You don't mention me in your blogs? Whats up with that? I'm bad and I'm nationwide you know!

This' Mister X... You're Welcome!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home